The company began trading in 1878 and went through a series of expansions, acquisitions and relocations. John Atkins & Co moved to the present Carrigrohane Road premises in 1964. Company growth is reflected in the number of prestigious dealerships for Farm and Garden Machinery – Fendt, Pottinger, Bredal, Bogballe, Briggs & Stratton, Husqvarna, McHale and Kubota are some of the brands in the Atkins portfolio.
There are service departments for both Farm and Garden machinery and an extensive mobile repair service available from company headquarters.
The business is broadly divided into six departments:
- Farm Machinery – new and used machinery
- Farm Parts – parts for all farming machinery requirements
- Farm Shop – extensively stocked shop with parts, tools and equipment for all farming needs
- Garden Machinery – new and used garden machinery
- Grass Parts for all types of garden machinery and tools – serving both retail and trade customers
- Garden World – the garden centre and retail shop.